Perhaps I’m missing something… but this program basically seems like the best thing ever. Why on earth would people be opposed to it? Let me list some reasons why it is awesome.
- It encourages people to purchase more fuel-efficient vehicles.
- (This is good because it is good for the environment.)
- (This is good because it reduces our dependency on oil.)
- (This is good because more small cars on the road means that their drivers are less likely to be in an accident with, say, a Hummer that will kill them versus another small car that may not.)
- It stimulates the economy, especially the auto industry, which as you may recall hasn’t been doing so well lately.
- It is a good deal for folks who may want or need a new vehicle, but cannot readily afford it, and given the state of the economy lately that is a whole lot of folks.
- It is the most tangible use of Federal stimulus dollars that I am aware of.
- (This is good because it means that you, yes YOU, could directly benefit from the stimulus package.)
- (This in turn is good because it shows that stimulus money is, in fact, getting into the hands of everyday folks who drive cars and not being sucked into corporate black holes.)
- It is proving to be immensely popular, because the initially-set-aside $1 billion was sucked dry within a week. Popular things done by the government are good.
Seriously folks, wake up. Incentives like this are exactly what the country needs. Live long and prosper, Cash for Clunkers program. Live long and prosper.